Thursday, July 26, 2007

Cable cable bo-babel

One of the things I find frustrating about knitting is that, well, I don't really know anyone who lives near me that knits. Most of this is because the majority of my friends are guys, and although there is photographic proof that there are men out there that knit none of my guys have been bitten by the woolly bug. Instead, they just look on with amusement when I whip out whatever I'm working on at our dnd sessions on Saturdays. So there are no experienced people around that I can ask when I'm unsure if I'm doing something right, or pretty sure that I'm doing something wrong.

Since I pretty much learned to knit from several books and being shown the knit stitch at college, this makes learning new techniques pretty interesting. Pretty interesting in that 'Someday, I will look back on this and laugh' way as I constantly have to destroy what I've done because I can't figure out why it's not working. The first pair of socks I made, I ended up having to make three socks to get two that, you know, actually matched. The second pair? I did the cuff on the first one approximated 26,579 times before figuring out what was going wrong. Which makes me a bit hesitant to attempt this:


This is Fifi from French Girl Knits. Now, I like a challenge, but those cables? They terrify me. And I still haven't decided if I actually like the top or not. There's something funny about it cutting off mid-boob. Is it supposed to make them look more pointy? Because that's what it seems to do in the photo. It's the current Sexy Knitters Club KAL (knit-a-long, for you non-knitters) and I think that I might have been so excited to be able to post pictures (before my camera died, anyway) and ask questions that I had a teensy MUST JOIN NOW reaction. So now I have the pattern and the yarn (Rowan Calmer, it's nice. Very stretchy. The yarn balls remind me of those squeezy stress balls.) but still haven't decided to knit it yet.

Partly because I'm a bit stuck on socks right now, and partly haven't made anything this big yet. I tried the Askew I mentioned earlier, and had to frog the whole bloody thing because I'm still getting the whole concept of row gauge. It looks like it could be a dress. Not so sexy. But mostly, I don't know about knitting it because of the cables. I'm working on some socks as a birthday gift right now that have cables in, and it's taken me SO LONG to figure them out without helpful pictures and help that the thought of trying to cable over more than one stitch freaks me out! So we'll see how we go. I have enough sock yarn to protect me for months, so maybe I can just ignore it. It'll go away if I do that, right?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home