Friday, August 11, 2006

Blowin' shit up

I've just read a friend's blog, and decided to voice my opinion around the recent events in the United Kingdom.

Terrorism is scary. That's why we've given it a name with 'terror' in it. It seems to be completely random, except to those in charge of it, and is a game of opportunism. I don't believe that Islam is telling these men to blow people up, I believe that other men are doing that. I think that America needs to take a step back, realize that by getting all up in other people's shit they're just screwing themselves over. I think that America needs to get its act together, have everyone sit down and discuss just what we're trying to get from the rest of the world anyway, and get a foreign policy that doesn't change with the whims of Fate.

I'm sick of getting up in the morning and having the vague thought that something might blow up somewhere in the world today, because no one listens to each other or thinks about the world beyond their borders as holding opinions that matter. If my family or friends were on their way to visit me and died because of a terrorist attack, I could never forgive myself. I worry that when I get on a plane to go home, I worry that I will be killed because of something a government that I did not vote for and do not support has done.

And I don't know what I can do about any of it. And that just makes me more afraid.

3 Comments:

Blogger ecogrrl said...

God, I know. I am so sorry that my country is so frigging stupid. How many of us (at least half) were screaming about this six years ago, and what good did it do??

I'm really sorry. I wish that we could just yank these guys out of office, but we've tried and tried to no avail...it has to get better, but meanwhile it's people like us who suffer.

10:01 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

Oops, and how stupid am I for failing to notice that you are also from the States? I suppose I don't have to go on about how frustrating it all is, then...

Sigh. Are you flying back over the holidays, too? I'm sort of dreading the trip now, even though I know it's irrational to be afraid.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Auglaise said...

::laughs:: It's all good, I think I'm stuck somewhere half way across the Atlantic by this point. Wait until you hear me talk!

I'm not heading back for Christmas, but I am going for a friend's wedding in late September...near enough to the 11th to make me nervous. I don't think it's irrational to be afraid, I'm definately nervous about heading back!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home