Thursday, August 09, 2007

A cheeky one over lunch

Yesterday started off as badly as it is possible for a day to begin. I woke up late, there was nothing for breakfast (besides I didn't have time for it anyway, and I hadn't seen the Starbucks guy since...the day before), I'm out of socks, I've run out of toothpaste, and I left the house with one earring in and without make-up on. It was the stressy-ist day of the month for me (second Wednesday of every month is my deadling day), and my morning did not go well. There's nothing like the combination of stupid+shallow+pedantic to make the world go round. There was actually a point where I had to go and hide in the loos for 10 minutes so I didn't start throwing things.

And then, then it was lunchtime. I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in ages, and the first thing he said was 'Wow. You look absolutely knackered.' (Can I just take a second to say to all the men out there: This is not what you say to your girly friends when you haven't seen them in a month. It doesn't matter if they look like they've been making out with Death for the last hour and he's sucked their soul out through their mouth. Tell them that it's just so nice to see them. That'll make the world a much better place, and you won't be covered by weepy girl for the remainder of your day.) So obviously knackered me and not-obviously knackered him ended up at the pub for lunch. And I had a burger, and a pint, and talked not-about-work.

When I got back to the Office, everything was somehow better. It definitely had to do with the pint of Abbott Ale I'd had with my lunch, but I finished off my day without killing anyone. I never would have thought, working in the strangely-puritanical United States, that anyone drinking at lunch would be a good thing. But yes, oh yes, it does. Now I just need to start bringing a flask to work, and I'm sure the whole week will become a more entertaining place.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Laing said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Michael Laing said...

Sorry, I really didn't mean it badly :( I just put my foot in it occationally. But you always look lovely even after a bad morning which is better than most people do when they have had a good day.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home