Monday, October 08, 2007

One toothbrush

Matt went away this weekend, some for business and some for visiting friends, and left me all on my lonesome. This is unique in alot of ways, but each of us doing our own thing is something that's fairly unique in my relationship with him in a lot of ways. When we got together, we both abhorred our school. We didn't like our courses, we didn't like our rooms, and shortly after getting together we both pretty much stopped going out or doing anything and stayed in watching tv and playing computer games. After that, every time we started to get settled somewhere and start getting to know people that we liked to spend time with, we'd move. So pretty much, until now, we haven't stayed in one place for over a year. We did everything together.

So it's unusual for him, or me, to go somewhere for a weekend without the other coming along. I didn't really think about it until I got home from work on Friday and looked at where all our toiletries are kept. The shelf was fairly bare, but what really hit me was my toothbrush. It was all on its own. Usually the two of them are one-on-top-of-the-other, or tangled up with the toothpaste. But it just sat there. Alone.

I do not know how people in long-distance relationships survive. I missed Matt this weekend, and he was gone for a total of just over 48 hours. I can't even imagine having to go weeks or months without seeing my sweetie, without a hug, or a kiss, or that way that he always touches across my back when he walks by me. I'm happy that I don't have to, but my respect for people who can deal with that situation has skyrocketed.

4 Comments:

Blogger .Wyle.E.Coyote. said...

this December is going to be weird...

I suppose I will still have the dog to scold and clean up after ;)

5:29 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

All I can say is that I get used to the ups-and-downs. I definitely don't think it's something anyone should enter into without a good deal of thought -- and things always come up that you can't really plan for in advance. Still, we're almost through Year 1, and Year 2 should go a bit faster (I hope). Frankly, I think I'm mad as well, but we're in it, so we're going to ride it all the way to the end.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Auglaise said...

.wyle.: Don't worry, I'll take good care of her! And I'm sure that the dog will mope around the house with you... :P

ecogrrl: Many hugs to you! Hopefully you'll be back over here and together soon. ^_^

3:37 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

I hope so! By Christmas, we should know more one way or another. Thanks for all of the hugs. :)

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home