Monday, February 18, 2008

Life gets in the way

Things have been happening recently. Fairly momentous things, for me.

Over a year ago, I blogged something that I felt. Not necessarily strongly about, but I was trying to put more effort into my blogging, so after the event I sat down while it was still fresh in my mind and wrote down what I was thinking and feeling. The next day, I put it up on my blog after going over it to see if I wanted to change things. So I posted it. And then the firestorm began. That one post, about how I was feeling at the time, provoked more comments (not necessarily on the blog) than anything I'd ever written before - and not really in a good way.

This has made me very hesitant to post about actual events that I have any sort of emotional reaction to, whatsoever. I learned from that experience that you never know who's reading, and that putting things out there for the world to see can have unintended effects on the people around you. At the same time...

This is my space. My voice, no one else's, and part of me thinks that not saying what I'm thinking and feeling is worse than saying the wrong thing. So, I guess I'm trying to say that I'm going to start talking. I'm not trying to hurt anyone, or say that the way I'm seeing something is the way it actually is (because really, if I were in charge of reality it would be Very Different), but this is me. This is what I'm thinking. And I guess I'll just have to deal with that, too.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! This year, you gave me a Christmas gift quoting Hamlet, "This above all - to thine own self be true." To a large extent, I think it's for others to accept you for who you are, which means saying or writing what you think and daring to be yourself. The true friends will stick around while the rest hack at you with sharp implements. Sounds like fun. ;-)

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home