Monday, January 22, 2007

This song is for you

I've been attempting to make a mix cd for my cousin, who I saw when I was in the States last during a fairly mind-numbing family reunion. It's difficult as I like quite a variety of artists and sounds (Tool + Death Cab + Pink Floyd + Dixie Chicks + Staind = Insanity). Also, the only thing I heard him listen to in my whirlwind 3 days in Wisconsin was the Killers album that made them popular.

How do you make a mix cd when you have no idea what the person listens to? Or really even know the person? This is the first time I interacted with my cousin as an adult, and as I wasn't the most filial child growing up I certainly didn't see him much. He's six years younger than me, and lives in the middle. You know, the bit that is only good for flying over. I know he's got an apparently rabidly christian (but lovely!) girlfriend, goes to community college, and is my cousin. That's about. So, how do you pick songs?

It's a dilemma.

2 Comments:

Blogger .Wyle.E.Coyote. said...

Yeah, no crapola.... Making a mix cd isn't as easy as one would think.

First off, how do you know what the person likes?

Then, once you know that, how do you chose muzik that is similar that they don't already have?

Then, what do you do if they like muzik that in your opinion completely blows? Actually, I know this one. Just send them muzik that doesn't suck. Upon hearing your absolutely amazing taste in muzik, they will become enlightened and throw all their current cd's in the fireplace (bonus points if they don't own cds but throw their computer containing their mp3 library into the fireplace).

Good luck!!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Michael Laing said...

I would just pick stuff you like and say to him that he might or might not like it.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home