Saturday, October 01, 2005

Bush tells Americans to drive less.

"I mean, people just need to recognise that these storms have caused disruption and that if they're able to maybe not drive ... on a trip that's not essential, that would be helpful.
If it makes sense for the citizen out there to curtail non-essential travel, it darn sure makes sense for federal employees ... We can encourage employees to car pool or use mass transit, and we can shift peak electricity use to off-peak hours. There's ways for the federal government to lead when it comes to conservation," he said.

Okay, Clever Guy, maybe if your moronic government hadn't taken away everyone's public transport, that would be helpful. And maybe if most American cities and towns were designed for both people AND cars, instead of just cars, it might work. I mean, the 15 minute walk to the grocery store near where I grew up was possibly the most ill-suited area for pedestrians that I'd ever seen. After cutting through the elementary school's playground (which you could only do as long as school wasn't in session), you had to walk on the unpaved shoulder of a very busy road for 12 minutes of the walk. Then, trying to cross the road was a challenge in itself. I'd once walked to the library while my mom was at the store, and was heading back with my usual massive bag of books. I stopped by the light, and waited for the happy 'Walk' sign to appear. I had literally STEPPED OFF THE SIDEWALK when the 'Don't Walk!' sign started flashing, and before I was halfway across the light changed and people started honking at me.

How are Americans expected to wean themselves off cars when the suburbs aren't supplied with the necessary public transport? How are they supposed to start walking when nowhere except the centres of major cities are set up for pedestrians? Why on earth is The Shrubbery persisting with tax breaks on oil when the money should be going into massive campaigns to get public transport improved and to encourage people to take it? Why isn't his government pushing alternative means of energy and encouraging people to develop them?

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Oil will never run out, the hurricanes have just disrupted our supply for a while. Global warming is a myth, and therefore couldn't have had anything to do with the hurricanes in the first place. And the hurricanes themselves were obviously sent by God to punish the den of sin that New Orleans was. Of course. How could I possibly forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home