Friday, September 30, 2005

So, in my efforts to lead a 'greener' lifestyle (and why is that always in little quotation marks?) I've been trawling through my usual sites (www.treehugger.com, www.hippyshopper.com and many others) in search of something that an apartment-dwelling urbanite with no access to a garden, no choice about what windows she's got or which appliances have been installed, and no money can do to. The answer is: Essentially nothing. I can buy organic, which is at least twice the price of normal things in the supermarket. Really, I shouldn't be shopping at the supermarket because they're all evil anyway, but good luck finding a shop that stocks everything you need for dinner without walking all over town. I can install low-energy lightbulbs...if I can afford them. Every single website I've seen or read seems to be writing things like "Save money and save the planet!", except that you have to spend money to save money, and where am I going to get the money from in the first place? Grr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home