Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Knitting up a storm

I decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted to learn to knit more than the scarves a friend from Western showed me how to make sophomore year, and to this end asked for a few knitting books for Christmas. As I didn't really get any, I ended up buying my own and decided to make, yet again, a scarf to start out with.

However, as I was going to be sat around my flat for at least a week after the alien was removed from my neck, I decided to try something a little more challenging:


This is my sock after just over a week, and let me tell you that thing is a demanding bitch. The yarn is so skinny that I can knit for over an hour and only get a tiny bit done, which can be frusterating. However, it's really cool to look at it and think, "I made that!" So I think that the knitting is going to become a permanent fixture in life. After all, I need something to do when I'm watching endless Firefly episodes!

The only bad thing about it is that in my tiny knowledge of yarn, I decided to use a self patterning yarn instead of the solid colour the pattern calls for, and that means that the difficult stitch (for a novice) it took several days to work out isn't easily visible in the sock. And that's a shame, because it's lovely.

Pattern is 'Roza's Socks' from the Spring edition of Interweave Knits.

1 Comments:

Blogger wooohooo said...

hehe love the sock!
I always wanted to learn, and i bought a kit to knit my own scarf,but i still have not got round to doing it :(
hope you are feeling a lot better
xxxx

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home