Monday, November 26, 2007

I wanna name my stuffed moose Jesus

Today, the first day that I have gotten out of bed and felt like a human in a long time, you were all going to get a Very Excited Post about my new camera. Then I thought that maybe instead I'd talk about my frustration with Blue Dragon on the 360.

Instead you get this.

I like to think that I'm a fairly open-minded individual. I really am more a 'whatever floats your boat' kind of gal. But this?

Now. I could understand if the woman had dressed the bear up in traditional Islamic robes, put a halo or some such on the bear, and started calling the bear 'Prophet Muhammad'. At that point, that becomes an insult and I can understand that. However. She didn't. As far as I'm aware, and as the story says, Muhammad is a common name and there were other names that the children could pick. Twenty of them chose their favourite name, Muhammad. Does this mean that every single person whose name is Muhammad should be arrested, as they're mocking the Prophet? Will they all go to hell?

Good job, Sudan. I certainly have much more respect for you as a country now. And certainly, with this article my impressions of Islam (which I honestly do not know very much about, although I am learning more as time goes by) are glowing with cheer and goodwill.

I mean, come on. It's a stuffed bear.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Laing said...

I just watched the a representative of the Sudanise government on Newsnight, it was embaressing to watch. The official from what I said the case had to be investigated and that the British would do the same. Personally I would hope that the the British wouldn't ever be this stupid and this shows all that I find wrong about religion. Lets just hope common sense prevails.

11:54 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

Yes, frankly this didn't help how I'm feeling about certain religions...not sure what to think. I mean, Christians do nutty things, too, but this nutty?

3:26 AM  
Blogger Auglaise said...

ecogrrl: My thoughts, exactly. I mean, rabid Christian fundamentalists are pretty out there, but they're not going to get upset that I've named the beanie baby turkey my mother sent me Jesus.

xmalx: I think that all countries can be stupid about certain things, but I agree. This is one of those situations that certainly do not help the position of religious peoples!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home